Quinoa Power Porridge
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
When I need something sustaining and warming for breakfast, I make myself this awesome porridge which provides instant nourishment. The addition of apple and cinnamon makes this porridge taste just like apple strudel. YUM.
1 cup (milk) your choice of seed, dairy, soy or almond milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa
2 apples, chopped or grated with skin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground linseed (flaxseed) or LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almonds)
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water.
- Combine with the water in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat - cover and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add milk, apple, cinnamon, seeds and vanilla.
- Cook for 5 minutes until creamy - add more milk if needed for a creamier texture.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
To cook the quinoa, add one part of the seed to two parts water in a saucepan. After the mixture is brought to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cover - just like you would rice. It takes about 15 minutes to cook and you will notice that the seeds have become translucent. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Store quinoa in an airtight container. Cooked quinoa seeds are fluffy with a delicate nutty flavour.