Delicious Chocolate Cake
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is a delicious chocolate cake that's perfect for celebrations! It has that smooth and robust dark chocolate flavour with exceptional tasting notes of almond, orange and vanilla bean. It's not too sweet and it's more for the sophisticated dark chocolate lover. Cut into small slices and savour the goodness, or you can coat it with chocolate ganache and decorate with fresh raspberries.
Makes 1 cake
1 whole sweet orange, unpeeled
1/2 cup ( 160 g / 5 1/2 oz) pure organic maple syrup
3 free range eggs
Pinch of sea salt
2 cups (200 g / 7 oz) ground almonds
1/2 cup Naked Chocolat Dark or a good quality dark cocoa powder (like Valrhona)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Ganache to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Steam or boil the orange with the skin for 60 minutes until soft.
- Cool then chop up the whole orange, including the skin and place into a food processor.
- Process the orange until smooth.
- Add the maple syrup and salt, vanilla then add the eggs and mix again.
- Add the almonds, cocoa and cinnamon and mix just until combined.
- Spoon into a 15 cm baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 50 - 60 minutes until cooked.
- Test with a skewer to check. The cake should be lovely and moist inside - a little fudge like - make sure not to overcook it.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Garnish with ganache and enjoy.
- Store for 1 week covered in the fridge.