Oatmeal Gingerbread Men
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
I love baking cookies and giving them away as presents over the festive period. For me it's a gift of good health that's made with love for everybody to enjoy. These oatmeal gingerbread men are one of my favourites !!! They are made with wholesome organic oats and scented with generous amounts of cinnamon and ginger.
Oats are a great source of soluble fibre that fills you up, so you feel fuller for longer. According to studies, the beta-glucan fiber found in oats can help regulate your appetite for up to 4 hours as well as help lower cholesterol. It’s the insoluble fibre in oats, which passes through our digestive system without being absorbed, that helps maintain a healthy digestive system, acting like a prebiotic thus stimulating the growth of good probiotic bacteria in the gut.
150 g (5 oz) organic rolled oats
130 g (4 1/2 oz) wholemeal spelt flour
60 g (2 oz) coconut sugar
150 g (5 1/4 oz) grass fed butter
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons water to mix
- PREHEAT oven to 160 C - fan forced.
- COMBINE oats, spelt flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a mixing bowl or food processor.
- ADD the butter and rub through lightly until crumbly and mixed through. You can also use a food processor to mix through if you like.
- SPOON dough into a mixing bowl and add water to form into your oatmeal pastry dough.
- FLATTEN down slightly and rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- REMOVE from the fridge and roll between 2 sheets of baking paper.
- CUT into your desired shapes using a gingerbread cutter or alternatively a round biscuit cutter.
- PLACE onto a baking tray.
- BAKE for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden.
- REMOVE from the tin and cool.
- DECORATE with melted white or dark chocolate.