Persian Watermelon Salad
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
Icy cold, juicy, ruby-fleshed watermelon is so hot right now and I just love being on the watermelon bandwagon, creating refreshing salads, gelato and icy smoothies to keep my body cool in the summer heat. I love salads made from watermelon and often marry thick cut wedges with rocket leaves, fresh chopped parsley and Persian feta. This is a delicious watermelon salad that's loaded with electrolytes and the perfect dish for a hot summer day! Enjoy on its own or accompany with barbecued sweet corn and roasted summer vegetables.
800 g cold seedless watermelon (without skin)
250 g Persian or goats feta
100 g rocket leaves
small bunch freshly chopped parsley leaves or few handfuls micro herbs
½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
60 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
cold pressed olive oil to drizzle
- Slice the watermelon into thin bit sized wedges.
- Wash the rocket leaves and arrange onto a serving platter.
- Add the watermelon and gently mix through the leaves.
- Top with parsley or micro herbs and red sliced onion.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and add to the salad along with pistachio nuts.
- Drizzle with cold pressed olive oil just before serving.
Notes and Inspiration
Use baby spinach leaves in place of rocket leaves.
Any leftover watermelon can be blended with ice and a squeeze of lime for a refreshing cooler or try blending frozen chunks of watermelon with coconut cream for an instant ice cream.