Quinoa with Roasted Zucchini, Kale & Peas
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is my ultimate 15 minute meal that's the perfect addition to your busy week. Kale and zucchini are a wonderful source of antioxidants, fibre and B-group vitamins. Peas and quinoa are great vegetable sources of protein that helps to fuel and repair your body and supports a healthy immune system, encouraging muscle growth and repair. The protein will also supply your body with slow-release energy to provide your muscles with the goodness it needs, perfect after an exercise session.
4 zucchini, sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 leek, washed and sliced
1 bunch kale, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juice + zest
200 g (7 oz) green peas
300 g (10 1/2 oz / 2 cups) cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds (optional) or pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
Persian feta or chopped avocado to serve
1. Preheat oven 220°C fan-forced.
2. Lay zucchini onto a baking tray and drizzle lightly with a little olive oil.
3. Roast for 10 minutes until tender then remove from the oven.
4. Sauté the leek, garlic and kale over a medium heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes until tender.
5. Add green peas, the juice and zest of 1 lemon and chopped parsley then heat through.
6. Fold through quinoa and zucchini and season with a little sea salt and pepper.
7. Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with feta, flaked almonds if using or chopped avocado.
Notes and Inspiration
Enjoy as a salad for lunch the next day served with a little extra avocado.
Omit peas for drained chickpeas and serve over baba ganoush or hummus and enjoy as a cold salad the next day.