What's great about it
This time of year, I try put an extra focus into Immune Boosting Foods that help nourish and support my immune system. This is a delicious recipe for Superfood Pesto created by Caroline Beaumaris who was one of the winners from my Healthy Chef Wellness Competition. I loved its simplicity and the fact that this pesto was so versatile allowing me to incorporate it into so many of my healthy recipes.
Makes 1 jar
1 head broccoli
1 large bunch basil
1 bunch parsley
Generous handful baby spinach leaves
Handful of pumpkin seeds or your choice (raw sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts or macadamia nuts)
60 g Parmesan - grated - optional but delicious !
1 clove garlic, smashed
Generous pinch sea salt
Generous pinch ground black pepper
4 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil or lovely lemon-scented olive oil
- Chop broccoli roughly and place into your food processor for a few seconds until it is finely chopped.
- Add basil, parsley and spinach and process again until finally chopped and mixed in with the broccoli.
- Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, Parmesan, garlic and pumpkin seeds.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and process again until combined and finely chopped.
- Add olive oil and give your superfood pesto one last wiz.
- Taste and adjust the flavours adding more lemon, salt or pepper if required.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Notes and Inspiration
Use in-between layers of oven baked lasagne.
Mix through zucchini linguini and heat in a hot pan until luscious.
Spread over a pizza base before baking and top with fresh tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella
Mix through steamed or roasted vegetables