What's great about it
This time of year, I try put an extra focus into Immune Boosting Foods that help nourish and support my immune system. This is a delicious recipe for Superfood Pesto created by Caroline Beaumaris who was one of the winners from my Healthy Chef Wellness Competition. I loved its simplicity and the fact that this pesto was so versatile allowing me to incorporate it into so many of my healthy recipes.
Makes 1 jar
1 head broccoli
1 large bunch basil
1 bunch parsley
Generous handful baby spinach leaves
Handful of pumpkin seeds or your choice (raw sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts or macadamia nuts)
60 g Parmesan - grated - optional but delicious !
1 clove garlic, smashed
Generous pinch sea salt
Generous pinch ground black pepper
4 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil or lovely lemon-scented olive oil
- Chop broccoli roughly and place into your food processor for a few seconds until it is finely chopped.
- Add basil, parsley and spinach and process again until finally chopped and mixed in with the broccoli.
- Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, Parmesan, garlic and pumpkin seeds.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and process again until combined and finely chopped.
- Add olive oil and give your superfood pesto one last wiz.
- Taste and adjust the flavours adding more lemon, salt or pepper if required.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Notes and Inspiration
Use in-between layers of oven baked lasagne.
Mix through zucchini linguini and heat in a hot pan until luscious.
Spread over a pizza base before baking and top with fresh tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella
Mix through steamed or roasted vegetables
Serve with fish or organic chicken.
Add to pumpkin soup or vegetable minestrone.